Thursday 11 November 2010

And the young people ask "what are they marching for?"

In America today isn't Remembrance Day but Veterans Day. This doesn't entail sombre vigils at cenotaphs but a surprisingly jolly parade down Main Street (certainly here anyway and I would imagine all over the US too) by assorted veterans, policemen, firemen, scouts, guides, cubs, brownies and high school marching bands. It appeared that the whole town came out to watch it (perhaps not the whole town but certainly a couple of thousand people).

We had the two rival high schools bands, Nashua North and South




Lets face it, what either of them are dressed in is not what could be described as "a good look".  They are playing those, what I think are tubas in the first photo. Rather sadly my photos of the "swaying band" don't really do them justice but I shall see if I can find a video of them on the web, it truly is a sight to behold! I have to say as much as I love Nimrod and Barbers Adagio for Strings it was nice to hear the Battle Hymn of the Republic and Liberty Bell being played at what could be a bit of a sombre occasion.

My favourite participants were the Minutemen



I think its safe to say that none of them were survivors of the war they fought in.....

No comments:

Post a Comment