Saturday 27 November 2010

The kids are alright

America does love its "community events". They lit the town christmas tree tonight. Rather than everyone just gather round the tree and get some local celebrity to throw the switch, we had a festival instead - the Holiday Stroll. Main Street is closed, stages set up and food stalls fired up.



There was ice sculpture


There was the local astronomy society letting you look through their telescopes (no really). I have no pictures to prove this but I did look at Jupiter and its four moons.

The Beer Tent was funny. America has a very odd relationship to alcohol. We had to prove we were 21 (I knew there was a reason why I went to all that effort to get a driving license), I haven't be asked to prove my age for years. Then when you get to the bar, there is a two drink maximum. I don't think America has ever really got over Prohibition.

And the bands? Well I have to say I just watched a group of 18 year olds who were better than some of the bands I have paid money to see. I'm pleased to see that are are still skinny boys with guitars who think that they are going to be the best band ever.



(Its a bad picture of the band - I really should get myself a tripod to take these pictures in the dark without a flash. But I do quite like this picture)

No comments:

Post a Comment