Monday 31 January 2011

Kingman, Barstow, San Bernardino

For those of you who have no idea what the post title is all about watch/listen to this (done by the man who wrote it - if you have never heard him do it, its not what you'll be expecting).



We have done it backwards ("If you ever plan to motor east....") starting in San Bernardino where we stayed last night.


Then on to Barstow, where we visited the Calico Ghost Town - a bit too restored for me, I was expecting tumble weed and broken down shacks but its all a bit shiny and been turned into and a shopportunity.


I have felt a bit like Robert Mitchum all day, driving over the High Desert. It is mile after mile of mountain and desert (I think that we have driven 300 miles since we were last without mountain). Those frontier pioneers must have been hoping that the sea was just over the next mountain. I wonder how many went mad out there waiting for the sea? I can see why they replaced Route 66 with an Interstate, it must have been tedious driving along this....



No comments:

Post a Comment